NEW - download 'Seoul VillageS (서울 마을들)', my collection of 12 short fictions! Get your free copy of the ebook (4 editions: English, French, Korean, Bilingual English-Korean)!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Myeongdong Gyoja (Seoul)

If you're into Slow Food, this one is not for you. If you like fast food, you may need some training to catch up.

50 people queueing in the ground floor line, plus 60 in the first floor line ? No problemo : they say it's going to take 7 minutes, and 4 minutes later I'm seated. 10 more minutes and I'm out, filled up with meat dumplings and kalguksu (KRW 7,000 each).

Nothing exceptional about the food : a Chinese touch for the 8 dumplings, some pork and 4 mulmandu for the noodles...

Myeongdong Gyoja has been around for over 40 years and it's the closest thing to a factory I've ever seen here : pervasive advertising for tourists, an ISO9002 smile on every face, a team devoted to optimizing FIFO logistics, no time wasted... but no tension either - customers have to be compensated for the line, and the noise.

Some may add "and the food" because for this price tag you can probably find better elsewhere, but come on. This is not a rip-off.


SM 2009


Myeongdong Gyoja / 명동 교자 (Restaurant)
33-4 Myeongdong 2-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul, ROK
Tel : +82.2.776.5348

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mr.MOT

    Nice to meet you. I'm Jihoon, Korean. I'm KATUSA in USAG-Yongsan. I add your blog on my google reader, and spread your news to my US battle buddies via the group "Let's go together" on facebook. I appreciate that you upload the recent news about Seoul in English.

    By the way, 명동교자 is correct, not 묭동교자. I know it confused for you between ㅕ and ㅛ. Sometime I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooops!

    Thank you for your kind message, and for pointing out the mistake (erratum completed)

    Best regards

    Stephane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and remarks. Also for your patience (comments are moderated and are not published right away - only way to curb the spam, sorry). S.

books, movies, music